PHQ-4 – Anxiety and Depression Screen
The PHQ-4 is a validated tool to assess for anxiety and depression.
Points are given for each variable.
Explanation of Result :
Anxiety Section :
1. Feeling nervous, anxious or on edge:
2. Not being able to stop worrying:
Score of 3 or more is positive and should be further evaluated by GAD-7 or a mental health referral should be made.
Depression Section :
1. Little interest or pleasure in doing things:
2. Feeling down, depressed or hopeless:
Score of 3 or more is positive and should be further evaluated by PHQ-9 or a mental health referral should be made.
* Please verify all calculations prior to clinical use.
- Kroenke K, Spitzer RL, Williams JB, Löwe B. An ultra-brief screening scale for anxiety and depression: the PHQ-4. Psychosomatics. 2009 Nov-Dec;50(6):613-21. PMID: 19996233.